Black Authors (6 Week Course)
The books we will read for this course will provide a brief survey of how the legacy of slavery has devastated the family, as well as demonstrate how the family’s disintegration affects the integrity and coherence of the individual. In an era of Black Lives Matter it is vitally important that we challenge ourselves to listen to what these black authors express through their words, characters, and situations in the hopes that we might become more enlightened. While these novels are not exactly easy to read, each one of them will reward your efforts.
Live Zoom Webinar with Q&A.
6 Week Class Schedule
- Thursday, October 15, 2020 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday, October 22, 2020 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday, October 29, 2020 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday, November 5, 2020 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday, November 12, 2020 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday, November 19, 2020 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Readings will Include:
Colored People by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Jazz by Toni Morrison
The Known World by Edward O. Jones
These books will be available at Brazos Bookstore. You can order by phone (713-523-0701) or online at Brazosbookstore.com. Brazos provides curbside pickup.
Price is per student. Class tuition is non-refundable.